thecajuns.com
genealogy, history and culture

 
Genealogy Reports Surname Reports Militia Rosters Census Records Acadian Exiles & Prisoners Genealogy/History Books & Music CDs Ship Records

Louisiana Parishes Creation Dates, Created From and Parish Seats

Acadia Parish was created in 1886 from St. Landry Parish - Crowley
Allen Parish was created in 1912 from Calcasieu Parish - Oberlin
Ascension Parish , an original parish was created in 1807 from the Acadia CoastCounty. (Donaldsonville, Gonzales) - Donaldsonville
Assumption Parish was created in 1807 from Lafourche County and named for Assumption Church of Plattenville - Napoleonville
Avoyelles Parish was created in December, 1807 from the Avoyelles District of Rapides County - Marksville
East Baton Rouge Parish: Baton Rouge Parish was created in 1792 in the West Floridas area. The land wasdivided into East & West Baton Rouge Parishes in 1810 - The Parish Seat of East Baton Rouge is Baton Rouge
Beauregard Parish was created in 1912 from Calcasieu Parish - De Ridder
Bienville Parish was created in 1848 from Claiborne Parish, originally part ofNatchitoches County - Arcadia
Bossier Parish was created in 1843 from Claiborne Parish - Benton
Caddo Parish was created in 1838 from Natchitoches Parish - Shreveport
Calcasieu Parish was created in 1840 from St. Landry Parish - Lake Charles
Caldwell Parish was created in 1838 from parts of Catahoula & Ouchita Parishes - Columbia
Cameron Parish was created in 1870 from parts of Calcasieu & Vermillion Parishes - Cameron
Catahoula Parish was created in 1808 from Ouchita County - Harrisonburg
Claiborne Parish was created in 1828 from Natchitoches Parish - Homer
Concordia Parish was created in 1803 from Concordia County, which contained the colonial post of Fort Rosalie - Vidalia
DeSoto Parish was created in 1843 from parts of Natchitoches & Caddo Parishes - Mansfield
E. Carroll Parish was created from Carroll Parish when it was split in 1877. Carroll was created in 1832 from Ouchita Parish - Lake Providence
E. Feliciana Parish was created in 1824 from Feliciana Parish. Originally from the Spanish West Floridas - Clinton
Evangeline Parish was created in 1910 from St. Landry Parish, part of Attackapas County - Ville Platte
Franklin Parish was created in 1843 from parts of Ouchita, Catahoula & Madison Parishes - Winnsboro
Grant Parish was created in 1869 from parts of Rapides & Winn Parishes - Colfax
Iberia Parish [part of Attakapas District, Attakapas County and St. Martin Parish] was created in 1868 from St. Martin and St. Mary Parishes - New Iberia
Iberville Parish was created in 1807 from Iberville County and is home to St. Gabriel Catholic Church - Plaquemine
Jackson Parish was created in 1845 from parts of Natchitoches & Ouchita Parishes - Jonesboro
Jefferson Parish was created in 1825 from Orleans Parish. - Gretna
Jefferson Davis Parish was created in 1912 from Calcasieu Parish.- Jennings
Lafayette Parish [part of Attakapas District, Attakapas County and St. Martin Parish] was created in 1823 from St. Martin Parish - Lafayette
Lafourche Parish was created in 1807 from Lafourche County - Thibodaux
LaSalle Parish was created in 1910 from Catahoula Parish - Jena
Lincoln Parish was created in 1872 from parts of Jackson, Claiborne, Bienville & Union Parishes - Ruston
Livingston Parish was created in 1832 from St. Helena Parish - Livingston
Madison Parish was created in 1838 from parts of Concordia & Ouchita (in 1811, area was Warren County, which was abolished) - Tallulah
Morehouse Parish was created in 1844 from parts of Ouchita & Catahoula - Bastrop
Natchitoches Parish was created in 1807 from Natchitoches County which saw the first Europeans settler in 1714 - Natchitoches
Orleans Parish was created in 1805 from Orleans County which is the site of St. Louis Cathedral built in 1718 - New Orleans
Ouchita Parish was created in 1807 from Ouchita County - Monroe
Plaquemines was created in 1807 from Orleans County - Pointe a la Hache
Point Coupee Parish was created in 1807 from Pointe Coupee County - New Roads
Rapides Parish was created in 1807 from Rapides County, the site of a Spanish mission in 1711 - Alexandria
Red River Parish was created in 1871 from parts of Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, DeSoto & Natchitoches - Coushatta
Richland Parish was created in 1868 from Carroll, Franklin, Morehouse & Ouchita - Rayville
Sabine Parish was created in 1843 from Natchitoches Parish - Many
St. Bernard Parish was created in 1807 from Orleans County and was once called Terre aux Boeufs for the wild oxen in the area - Chalmette
St. Charles Parish was created in 1807 from German Coast County, site of St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church - Hahnville
St. Helena Parish was created in 1811 from the West Floridas - Greensburg
St. James Parish was created in 1807 from Acadia Coast County, site of St. Michael's Catholic Church - Convent
St. John the Baptist Parish was created in 1807 from German Coast County, site of St. John Baptiste Catholic Church on one side of the river and St. Peter's Catholic Church on the other - Edgard
St. Landry Parish was created in 1805 from Attackapas County - Opelousas
St. Martin Parish [part of Attakapas District that became Attakapas County and then St. Martin Parish] was created in 1807 from Attackapas County - St. Martinville
St. Mary Parish [part of Attakapas District, Attakapas County and St. Martin Parish] was created in 1811 from St. Martin Parish - Franklin
St. Tammany Parish was created in 1810 from the West Floridas - Covington
Tangipahoa Parish was created in 1869 from parts of Livingston, St. Helena, Washington and St. Tammany Parishes - Amite
Tensas Parish was created in 1861 from parts of Madison & Concordia Parishes - St. Joseph
Terrebonne Parish was created in 1822 from Lafourche Parish - Houma
Union Parish was created in 1839 from Ouchita Parish - Farmerville
Vermillion Parish [part of Attakapas District, Attakapas County and St. Martin Parish] was created in 1844 from Lafayette Parish - Abbeville
Vernon Parish was created in 1871 from parts of Natchitoches, Sabine & Rapides Parishes - Leesville
Washington Parish was created in 1819 from St. Tammany - Franklinton
Webster was created in 1871 from parts of Bienville, Bossier & Claiborne Parishes - Minden
W. Baton Rouge Parish was created in 1807 from part of the Florida Parishes - Port Allen
W. Carroll Parish was created in 1877 - Oak Grove
W. Feliciana Parish was created in 1824 from Feliciana Parish - St. Francisville
Winn Parish was created in 1852 from parts of Catahoula, Natchitoches & Rapides Parishes - Winnfield

About the Host Visit Louisiana The Acadian Memorial & The Acadian Museum The Cajuns is onThe Cajuns on Facebook Home